Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is a private and independent international medical aid organisation. Diversity, open mindedness and mutual respect are of particular importance in our organisation. MSF provides medical aid in more than 70 countries worldwide. The headquarters of the German section of MSF - Ärzte ohne Grenzen e.V. is in Berlin. In the headquarters, over 200 employees work in the fundraising, media and public relations, finance and administration, human resources and project departments.
We are looking for an experienced leader & manager, with energy and a drive. The Head of Communications and Engagement will master this challenge with proven strong management skills and change competencies within a grown team, sharing the leadership of the department. A suitable candidate disposes of an empowering management approach and will lead the teams with enthusiasm for our organization, its mission, its supporters, and will have the necessary drive for continuous change and growth on multiple levels. Our mission is to deliver humanitarian medical assistance and to bear witness, speaking about the plight of our patients and the communities we work with. We aim to establish and preserve a strong and compelling identity and image of our organization within the German speaking audiences with a special focus on politicians, donors and (potential) staff. To structure ourselves in accordance with today’s complex and interconnected communication and marketing landscape, we are currently adapting our departmental structure in a participative process towards a corporate newsroom.
Head of Communications and Engagement f/m/d
Senior Management position: maximum duration of 6 years
40 hours per week
- Steer MSF-G communication and engagement efforts by strategic visioning and the translation of ambitious targets in concrete actions/feasible implementation plans
- Be co-responsible that the department contributes in the best possible manner to achieve aspired results of the organization, including its fundraising targets, in a goal-oriented, efficient way of collaboration
- Works to ensure that structures continuously improved allowing everyone collaborating in a goal-oriented, efficient and motivated way - within and across the communication teams -
- Create visibility/ raise awareness of our topics and us as an organization
- Public positioning of our work and topics in the public sphere and the political arena of Germany
- Develop, implement and continuously improve our Engagement strategy/ approaches with supporters
- Support other MSF-G units with proven communication and marketing expertise to reach their goals
- Develop teams/ department and communication efforts to have strong, holistic and coherent messaging across different channels
- Co-shape international communication of movement/ OCA
- Create a culture of mutual appreciation and learning
- Your Competencies: Strategic Vision / Results & Quality Orientation/ Capacity to negotiate / Empowering Leadership / Enabling mentality / Change expertise / People management & Development / Networking
- Extensive relevant work experience including profound comparable senior management experience (including managing staff with managerial duties, and as functional or hierarchical manager)
- Proven leadership and management experience with strong people management skills (performance management, leadership culture, change management, participatory goal setting & communication, collective resource and investment planning, etc.)
- Proven competence and experience in digitalization/digital transformation of external communication and internal processes
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills in German. Very good written and spoken English
- Experienced in Management of complex interfaces and stakeholders, including steering of external service providers
- Genuine interest in and commitment to humanitarian principles and medical ethics
- Crisis communications experience. Willing to be available by phone/mail outside of office hours (24/7) in a crisis
- Previous work experience in a Non-Governmental Organisation with thorough understanding of modern humanitarianism (including current debates, e.g. anti-racism/intersectionality, EDI, localisation, etc.) an advantage
- Willingness to travel to crisis areas worldwide and availability to travel within Europe.
- Payment according to internal salary structure; in this position according to group 7 with full-time employment (40h/week) entry salary maximum of 5.013 € gross, depending on the relevant professional experience
- Benefits: 30 days of annual leave per year, 13th salary, subsidized public transport ticket, regular increases in salary according to salary structure, company pension contribution as well as free drinks and fruit
- According to MSF Germany´s mobility policy all senior management positions are limited to a maximum duration of six years
- Meaningful and diversified work within a respectful and positive organization culture
- Insights on international field projects through regular reports, presentations and exchange with colleagues
- Personal development through inhouse trainings and the support of individual training programs
As an international humanitarian organization, we see equity, diversity and inclusion as an important enrichment for our society. Therefore, we especially invite people who do not define themselves as part of the majority society to apply for the position. If you are ready for this and have the ability to not only approach your own tasks with drive, but at the same time to question and reshape them, we very much look forward to receiving your application.
In case of further questions please contact Christian Katzer, General Director, on +49-30-700130-180.